The Inheritance Guide

We are here to help, call 0808 197 6333

A simple way to unlock probate
Forum > Pensions > State pensions, benefits and tax credits
View Question

Date Posted:
27-Aug-2013 14:44:05
State pensions, benefits and tax credits

You should notify the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) of the deceased’s death using the ‘Certificate of registration of death’ (BD8) form that the Registrar will give you. Pension and state benefits that have not been paid to the deceased up to the date of death should be claimed by you and entered into the probate forms as money owed to the estate.

Changes to pensions and benefits mean that many are paid retrospectively which reduces the risk of overpayment. You should call the appropriate agencies so they can put an immediate stop on payments prior to receiving the written confirmation of death (the BD8 form).

You should also notify the local tax office if the deceased was in receipt of tax credits to prevent later claims for repayment.
Press Esc to close

Please be patient this can take a few minutes, we are processing your information and populating the relevant forms.